A model of Exemplary Bookmobile Service
North American Library Principles
Vision & Mission Statements
Tour of the Prototype
I: Floor plan for the Alberta Bookmobile Service
II: Geographic Areas for Library Systems
III: New Guidelines for the 21st Century by Richard M. Cheski
The government of Alberta provides the following statistics2:
- 362 municipalities in Alberta.
- 290 municipalities provide municipal library service.
- 259 municipalities provide a system level of service.
- 59 municipalities do not provide any level of library service.
Library Boards and Service Points
In Year 2002
- 232 municipal and community library boards responsible for serving Albertans.
- 7 regional library systems serving 227 libraries.
- 309 library service points across Alberta.
- 124 of these service points/libraries serve less than 1200 people.
- There are 243 library boards responsible for serving Albertans.
- There are 308 library service points across Alberta from Acme to Zama.
- There are seven regional library systems in the province. There are 230 participating municipalities.
- 2,917,444 Albertans have access to a public library. This is 97.5% of the total provincial population.
- There are over eight million (8,033,201) books in Alberta's public libraries.
- There are 2.75 library items in stock per capita served.
- Albertans borrowed 30,571,656 items from public libraries.
- Alberta libraries annually circulate 10.48 items from public libraries.
- Reference questions:
- 6,473,749 reference questions.
- Albertans asked 4,953,399 in-house reference questions.
- Albertans also asked 1,520,350 online reference questions.
- Operating grants to public libraries was $14,461,114.
- Municipal contributions to public libraries amounted to $64,011,477.
Other income totaled $14,060,011 (from fines, fees and other grants).
- Public libraries/systems spent $14,841,175 on library materials.
- There were 1,413 full-time employees in public libraries.
2 Government of Alberta Website, Community Development, Accessed June 11, 2005. http://www.cd.gov.ab.ca/building_communities/public_library/statistics/statistics/index.asp